Barry and Linda Coutts, Grimsby, Ontario for the restoration of Nelles House
Barry and Linda Coutts spent the past 40 years lovingly restoring their home, Nelles Manor, successfully returning it to its original Georgian-era roots. The two-storey house, with its solid stone walls, broad end chimneys and louvered windows was built between 1788 and 1798 by Colonel Robert Nelles, a United Empire Loyalist, and was occupied by a descendent of Robert’s family up until its sale to the Coutts in 1971.
The house saw many changes over the years. Cut up into 8 apartments in the 1930s, Barry and Linda have returned the house to a single family home as part of their extensive restoration strategy. Today, Nelles Manor is a focal point in the community and serves as an anchor for the character and charm of Main Street West.
The 110-year-old former CPR Station was meticulously documented by volunteers before being painstakingly dismantled brick by brick in 1998 and moved into storage.
After seven decades of service, the station had closed in 1970, then languished for eight years until it was slated for demolition. Rescue came with relocation, but by the early 1990s it was again suffering from neglect. This time the station’s rapid deterioration led some to declare it a threat to public safety. Galvanized into action, the Brampton Heritage Board launched the Save Our Station campaign, which is what resulted in its dismantling and storage.
The dream of rebuilding the station never died, and the chance finally came in the spring of 2009 with the announcement that Brampton would be receiving federal infrastructure stimulus funding to support a new development project called Mount Pleasant Village by Mattamy Homes.
The oldest surviving park in Calgary, Central Memorial Park had its early beginnings as a nursery and a site to nurture trees used to plant in the city. A hub for community activities, it was selected as the site for city’s first library, the Carnegie Library. When the park opened in 1912, the formal landscape design that accompanied the library illustrated Calgary’s evolution as a sophisticated city.
Over the next 60 years the space grew in the hearts of Calgarians and proved a fitting location to erect the memorials honouring those who sacrificed their lives in the Boer War, WWI and WWII. And in the 1970s, the park was protected by a Provincial Historic Resource listing.
Located in the heart of the cultural district of Kelowna, the Laurel Packinghouse—the first designated heritage building in Kelowna—is the oldest and largest remaining packinghouse in British Columbia. Built over the winter of 1917-18 from locally-made Knox Mountain clay bricks, it operated as a working packinghouse up until the 1970s. Slated for demolition in 1982, it was largely through the efforts of the Kelowna Museums Society that the building was saved and restored over the following six years. It became the home of the B.C. Orchard Industry Museum, the B.C. Wine Museum and VQA Wine Shop.
In 2008, a structural assessment revealed that the well-used building badly needed to be strengthened and updated. The City stepped in, and with the help of federal stimulus funding, the $2.5-million structural renovation project was underway by 2010.
Victoria Heritage Foundation’s Four-Volume Series, This Old House: Victoria’s Heritage Neighbourhoods
Published by the Victoria Heritage Foundation (VHF) between 2004 and 2009, the series originated in the 1970s to document every house on Victoria’s Heritage Register. The first version of This Old House: Victoria’s Heritage Neighbourhoods appeared in 1979 as a slim paperback containing 124 pages that recorded 268 properties. The volume was updated twice, in 1984 and 1991, before a decision was made to revise the project’s scope in 2000. By then, the number of houses on the register had doubled, new photos had been acquired, some research had proved obsolete, and some properties had been updated while others had disappeared.
Working from 2000-2009, VHF volunteers (and two part-time researchers) made use of newly available resources, acquiring impressive research skills along the way. They worked tirelessly, combing through the City’s building files to create a huge searchable database of houses. Others transcribed records from dusty old City plumbing, water and building permit books, and catalogues of house plans from 1892-1950, making almost 30,000 electronically searchable records available. The data will also soon be available online.
Heritage Sub-Committee of the Humber Watershed Alliance for the Humber River Bridge Inventory and The Shared Path/Le Sentier Partagé
For almost two decades, the Heritage Sub-committee of the Humber Watershed Alliance has worked to preserve and protect the ecology, history and culture of the magnificent Humber River. A volunteer-based organization, it is made up of watershed residents, elected officials, representatives from community groups, government agencies and local businesses. The committee works with the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) to promote the Humber’s waterways and engage citizens into taking an active role in their preservation.
The group came together in 1994 as the Humber Watershed Task Force to implement the river’s first watershed management plan, Legacy: A Strategy for a Healthy Humber, which was completed in 1997. In 1999, it went on to successfully advocate for the designation of the Humber River Watershed as a Canadian Heritage River—one the first “urban” rivers to be designated. It remains the only Canadian Heritage River with a subway stop on it (Old Mill Station)! This year, the committee finalized the Humber River Bridge Inventory (HRBI) and initiated and assisted with The Shared Path/Le Sentier Partagé: Toronto’s Historical Park.
Lister Block, Hamilton, Ontario
Lister Block was built in 1924 for prosperous merchant Joseph H. Lister on the corner of James Street North and King William Street in downtown Hamilton to replace the original building dating from 1886 that was lost to fire, It was rebuilt as a six-storey commercial building with interior shopping arcades on the first and second floors. Lister Block featured the latest construction technology providing up-to-date qualities of fire resistance, ventilation, and natural light.
Costing $300,000, it had an exterior consisting of a reinforced concrete frame with brown rug brick, sheet copper and cream-coloured glazed terracotta. The interior ground- and second-floor innovative L-shape arcades included skylights and floors and baseboards made of marble.
This Classical Renaissance-style building was pivotal in the commercial history of Hamilton, marking a transition that allowed small-scale businesses to compete with large scale department stores. The Block prospered as retail and office space until the 1950s, when downtown renewal schemes and suburban expansion shifted commercial and retail activity out of the core. The building had tenants, like the Anne Foster Music Shop, until the mid-1970s, but finally closed in 1991.
Jeremy and Jordan Grant, Alton Mill rehabilitation Project
Jeremy and Jordan Grant were recognized for their vision and commitment to the rehabilitation of the Alton Mill, a late 19th-century stone industrial complex which has become a hub for the well-established and growing arts community in the area.
New Edinburgh Community Alliance, Ottawa, Ontario
Later in October, the New Edinburgh Community Alliance of Ottawa was celebrated for its tenacity in preserving a unique heritage conservation district in the face of constant development pressures.
Vancouver Heritage Foundation
The Vancouver Heritage Foundation (VHF) was established by the City of Vancouver in 1992 and has a private citizen Board of Directors. The VHF has a mandate to support the conservation of the city’s built heritage through public programming.
Conservation Assistance Grant Programs:
• True Colours - The VHF developed the Vancouver True Colours historic paint palette and has painted four dozen houses in their original and authentic colour schemes through the True Colours exterior paint granting program in partnership with Benjamin Moore Co., Limited.
• Restore It! - Provides grants of up to $5,000 to repair and maintain exterior fabric.
• Heritage Conservation Plans - Provides grants of up to $2,500 for the development of a five-year plan for the restoration or rehabilitation, and repair and maintenance of a heritage building.
Education and Awareness - Public Tours
• Heritage House Tour
• Mid-Century Modern
Education and Awareness - Old School: Courses for Building Conservation
Educationand Awareness - Publications:
• New Life Old Buildings: A Green Guide to Heritage Conservation
• Tour Guides - The history of 85 houses has been documented and published.
• Mapguides - of historic neighbourhoods and building types such as Modernist Downtown Buildings; Chinatown; Japantown & Carral Street.
• VHF Reading Room - Established through a private donation, it now includes a library of more than 300 volumes open to the public
Fundraising: Securing a Legacy
The VHF is committed to growing an endowment that will protect heritage buildings in perpetuity. The Foundation has embarked on a $3 million major gift fund for both endowments and special projects. To date the Foundation has raised about $750,000 in cash gifts and pledges. The City of Vancouver funds just one-quarter of the operating budget; the Foundation’s programs and fundraising efforts provide the rest.
Auberge Saint-Antoine, Québec City
The Heritage Canada Foundation was pleased to announce the most recent recipient of the 2008 Achievement Award as L’Auberge Saint-Antoine in Québec City for the restoration of its hotel and museum, and its commitment to heritage conservation
Set on the banks of the St. Lawrence, in the Old Port of Québec, L’Auberge Saint-Antoine is a combination of four buildings dating back to the 17th century and has slowly been converted into a hotel beginning with 23 rooms in 1993 to 94 rooms today. The Price family acquired the properties in 1990, and quickly developed a partnership with the University of Laval, the City of Québec and the Ministry of Culture to incorporate and display the artefacts found on the site during the eight-year archeological dig. Used as a cannon battery in wartime and a centre of merchant trade in peace time, the site, known as Îlot Hunt, produced an array of artefacts that can now be seen in the Auberge’s museum.
Hartman Bridge Project - Region of Waterloo, Ontario
Constructed in 1936 by the Hamilton Bridge Company, the Hartman Bridge is the fourth most historically significant bridge in the Region of Waterloo and the last remaining truss bridge owned by the municipality. In 2005, an environmental assessment study revealed that the landmark was in need of some repairs. With the support of the Town of New Hamburg, the Township of Wilmot and the Regional Municipality of Waterloo, it was rehabilitated for future generations to enjoy.
At a cost of $1.45 million, the Hartman Bridge was strengthened, the concrete abutments repaired; the cantilevered sidewalks widened; the main deck replaced and the entire structure repainted. The bridge’s lattice railings were restored, and the modern guardrails – added to contain motor vehicles – were designed to be compatible with the original appearance of the structure. Now returned to its former beauty, the bridge forms an attractive centerpiece for the small town of New Hamburg and is one of the focal points of the town’s heritage conservation district.
The Achievement Award, which is given jointly by the Heritage Canada Foundation and North Waterloo Region Branch of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario (ACO) and was presented to Ken Seiling, Chair of the Regional Municipality of Waterloo, at Waterloo City Hall on Wednesday February 27, 2008.
Reader Rock Garden Restoration Project - Calgary, Alberta
Reader Rock Garden, a provincially designated Edwardian Arts and Craft style rockery, has recently been restored by the City of Calgary. The project included rehabilitation and upgrading of the rock work, replanting of the original beds, rehabilitation of two ponds, and the reconstruction of a variety of structures, including the original house, gazebo, bridge and selected site furnishings.
The three-acre Garden dates from 1913—the year after a cottage was built on the property—and was used as a private residence and garden for William Roland Reader, Calgary’s most influential Park Superintendent.
The Garden followed a naturalistic design in order to demonstrate horticultural potential for pioneering Calgary within the rigours of the western Prairie/Foothills environment. Reader tested and documented over 4,000 plant species. His book, The Hardy Herbaceous Perennial Garden, lists the plants bed by bed. The quality of Reader’s plants and seedlings were recognized by Kew Gardens in London, the Botanical Gardens at Harvard; and the Royal Botanical Gardens in Edinburgh.
Most of the Garden was completed by the 1920s, but Reader continued collecting and experimenting with plant material until his death in 1943. The Garden was then opened to the public as a City park and named in his honour.
Following Reader’s death, the Garden experienced periods of decline and neglect, and the historic cottage was demolished in 1944. It was estimated that only 5% to 20% of the original plant material remained. After several years of restoration, the Reader Rock Garden has been rehabilitated according to Reader’s original plans and has earned official designation as a Provincial Historic Resource.
In 2003 the Reader Rock Garden project was awarded a grant from Infrastructure Canada – Alberta Program, and the City of Calgary committed to restore the historical landscape. Missing elements were recreated using historic photographs, plant lists, drawings, writings, and interviews with Reader’s grandchildren who lived in the original house.
The City of Calgary’s Reader Rock Garden Rehabilitation Project was awarded a 2008 Achievement Award on July 30. The Heritage Canada Foundation Achievement Award, given jointly with the Calgary Heritage Authority, recognizes outstanding work and commitment in the field of heritage conservation.
Marilyn Wilkins, Annapolis County, Nova Scotia
The Heritage Canada Foundation and the Annapolis County Heritage Advisory Committee were pleased to present Marilyn Wilkins with an Achievement Award for her dedication and contribution to heritage advocacy and volunteerism. As a municipal councillor for the County of Annapolis for 16 years, Marilyn Wilkins has shown true leadership in promoting heritage within the community. Over the years, she has served as chair of the Annapolis County Heritage Advisory Committee, where she played a significant role in the creation of the town’s heritage inventory, the launch of a new municipal Coat of Arms, as well as co-chair of the Focus 2005 Committee, which culminated in the creation of a Calendar of Events listing almost 200 community activities celebrating the county’s 400th anniversary in 2005. Most recently, Marilyn served as a member of the Nova Scotia Voluntary Planning Heritage Strategy Task Force, an 18-month initiative which was commissioned by the Government of Nova Scotia and the Federation of Nova Scotian Heritage to consult, research and make policy recommendations on a provincial heritage strategy. Marilyn’s expertise relating to heritage issues and municipal planning were valuable assets to this important initiative, and her work along with that of her fellow team members will have a lasting and influential effect on the future of heritage in Nova Scotia. The province is planning to release its official heritage strategy in the fall of 2007 – a strategy which the heritage community is hoping will draw heavily upon the task force’s report and 59 recommendations which range from the management of museums and archives to the preservation of built heritage and archaeological resources.
Watson's Mill, Manotick, Ontario
The Heritage Canada Foundation and the Canadian Chapter of the Society for the Preservation of Old Mills (SPOOM) were pleased to present the volunteers of the Watson’s Mill Manotick Inc., (WMMI) with an Achievement Award for their work in restoring and promoting Watson’s Mill—the only operating industrial heritage site within the amalgamated city of Ottawa. Located on the Rideau River, Watson’s Mill is considered one of the best-preserved examples of 19th century mill architecture in Canada. Built in 1860 by Moss Kent Dickinson and his partner, Joseph Currier, the five-storey limestone mill is an important part of the historic Dickinson Square in the heart of the village of Manotick. Since 1997, the mill and its museum have been operated by the Watson’s Mill Manotick Inc., a non-profit group dedicated to preserving the mill as a historic working site and as a social, cultural and educational focal point for the community and visitors. In 1998, WMMI established the Watson’s MILLennium Capital Campaign which raised more than $500,000 in grants and donations over four years for repairs and maintenance on the mill including the walls and foundations, chimneys and windows, as well as the installation of a proper drainage system and the restoration of the tin roof.
Cox Terrace, Peterborough, Ontario
The Heritage Canada Foundation and the Peterborough Chapter of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario (ACO) were pleased to present Derek Green with a 2007 National Achievement Award for the preservation of the Cox Terrace at 332 Rubidge Street, Peterborough, Ontario. One of only three national historic sites in Peterborough, the Cox Terrace was built in 1884 as a seven-unit row house for George A. Cox, a wealthy businessman and former Peterborough mayor. In the late 1980s, the Cox Terrace was threatened with demolition but was saved at the eleventh hour by a city council decision to designate it under the Ontario Heritage Act. In 2002, Derek Green purchased the by then derelict property and embarked on an ambitious project to restore it. The work included restoring the building’s distinctive yellow brick exterior, replicating and replacing the ornate wood brackets and mouldings, and rebuilding the covered veranda and roof.
Royal Alexandra Hall, Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Heritage Canada Foundation and Heritage BC were pleased to present the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel in Cranbrook, British Columbia, with a 2007 National Achievement Award for the ambitious and creative Royal Alexandra Hall Restoration project. The Royal Alexandra Hall, originally known as the Grand Café, was one of the finer features of the Royal Alexandra Hotel, which was built in 1906 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, by the Canadian Pacific Railway. A favourite spot with Winnipeggers and the thousands of travellers who visited it, the café became synonymous with Edwardian elegance and first-class service. When the hotel was demolished in 1971, the Grand Café was dismantled piece by piece and, except for the curved beamed ceiling, stored for 25 years in a semi-trailer before being purchased in 1996 by Streit Brothers Antiques. In 1999, the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel (CMRT) learned of the room and purchased the contents, along with the massive two-storey-high carved oak fireplace from the hotel’s formal dining room. The Grand Café was recreated in the Royal Alexandra Hall, complete with its vaulted ceiling and eight curved double French doors, as a major Millennium project. Today, the elegant Royal Alexandra Hall is the centrepiece of the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel and its Deluxe Railway Hotel Architectural Tour. The space is also rented out for community and museum events.
Royal Theatre Façade Restoration, Victoria, B.C.
Given jointly with the Heritage Society of British Columbia – the National Achievement Award was presented to the Royal Theatre Façade Restoration project in Victoria, B.C. The award was presented to the theatre’s owner, Capital Regional District, the property manager, The Royal & McPherson Theatres Society and the project architect, Allan R. Cassidy Architect Inc.
Constructed in 1913 by the Victoria Opera House Limited, The Royal Theatre is one of the grandest surviving large-scale vaudeville theatres in Canada. With some of the century’s greatest performers on its stage, including Sarah Bernhardt, Carlos Montoya, Mikhail Baryshnikov and Luciano Pavarotti, this national historic site has served as the city’s showplace for the arts and is now considered a showcase for theatre restoration in Canada.
In 2004, two years following the restoration of the theatre’s original Rococo/Renaissance Revival style auditorium, the Capital Regional District and The Royal and McPherson Theatres Society undertook the restoration its decorative façade. The project included the meticulous cleaning and repointing of the brickwork and the restoration of the original, ornate terra cotta details and windows. The upper parapet wall and upper terra cotta elements were also seismically stabilized. During the project, various community groups, municipal officials and heritage planners were consulted to ensure that the theatre’s architectural and historical significance were preserved.
Friends of the Forestry Farm House, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
The Heritage Canada Achievement Award is presented to the Friends of the Forestry Farm Home, jointly by the Saskatchewan Architectural Heritage Society and the Heritage Canada Foundation, for their preservation and restoration of the Superintendent’s Residence at the Sutherland Forest Nursery Station. Established by the federal Forestry Branch in 1912, the Sutherland Forest Nursery Station made a significant contribution to Western Canada’s prairie landscape through its tree-planting program, the propagation and distribution of seedlings, horticultural research and farm beautification was at the centre of its operations. From 1913 to 1965, the superintendent’s residence, along with the surrounding lawns, walkways, flower beds and tree groupings, served as the focal point of the nursery and a model farmyard for prairie newcomers as they established their own homesteads. From its earliest days, the residence and its opulent grounds were also a major recreational site for city dwellers. In 1966, the Sutherland Nursery was closed and ownership was transferred to the City of Saskatoon. To honour its past, the City renamed the area Forestry Farm Park and in 1989 declared the Superintendent’s House a Municipal Heritage Site. Two years later, the Government of Canada, on the recommendation of the Historic Sites and Monuments Board, designated the Sutherland Forest Nursery Station a national historic site. In the years following, the residence fell into a state of disrepair and its demolition seemed imminent until the community banded together in 1996 to form the Friends of the Forestry Farm House (FFFH). A long term building lease was secured and a restoration and sustainable development plan for the house and surrounding lands prepared and developed. At a cost of $153,000 and over 5000 hours of volunteer labour, the exterior and interior restorations were completed in 2003. Much of the original historic fabric of the house was preserved, including the hardwood floors, stairs, windows and plaster walls. In 2001, the FFFH project received a Vintage Building Award from the Saskatchewan Architectural Heritage Society in the Adaptive Reuse-Community Landmark category, and the 2002 City of Saskatoon Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee Heritage Award in the Adaptive Re-Use Category. Today, the property houses an interpretative centre and tea room.
Westmorland Institution, Dorchester, New Brunswick
The Heritage Canada Foundation is proud to join the Westmorland Historical Society in honouring the Westmorland Institution of Dorchester, New Brunswick, for its restoration of the 18th-century Methodist Dorchester Pioneer Cemetery. As part of a “Restorative Justice Initiative” of 2001, the staff and inmates of this minimum security institution volunteered over 1,000 hours cataloguing, cleaning, repairing, and in some cases, completely reconstructing over 223 gravestones – many of which were moss-covered and in very poor condition. The majority of the gravemarkers were missing bases, so the inmates built wooden ones that were then affixed to the stones using glue and further stabilized with a caulking compound. Under the guidance and leadership of Warden Mike Corbett and his colleague, Mr. Ian Carr, the inmates of the Westmorland Institution have made a significant contribution to the preservation of Dorchester’s rich history, as well as the physical fabric of the community.
Mr. Donald Luxton, Vancouver, British Columbia
Heritage Canada was pleased to present two Achievement Awards in 2003. The first, in partnership with the Heritage Society of British Columbia honoured Mr. Donald Luxton for his significant contribution to heritage preservation. As a heritage consultant, educator and preservation advocate, Mr. Luxton has been involved in evaluating, planning, managing, restoring and writing about heritage properties for 20 years. He has also taken an active role in such positions as Director of Heritage Vancouver, founding and current President of the Canadian Art Deco Society and Director of the Vancouver Heritage Conservation Foundation.
He is presently serving as a heritage consultant for the Mole Hill housing project in Vancouver, where 26 historic homes are being restored to their original colours. Mr. Luxton edited and complied the recently published book Building the West, a comprehensive, fully illustrated, biographical and historical account of B.C. architects who, from its colonial days to 1938, helped shape and influence British Columbia's built landscape.
La Maison Gabrielle-Roy Corporation, St. Boniface, Manitoba
The Foundation was proud to present a second Achievement Award - this time in partnership with the Manitoba Historical Society - to La Maison Gabrielle-Roy Corporation of St. Boniface, Manitoba, for its dedication in restoring the birthplace of celebrated Canadian author Gabrielle Roy. Built in 1903, Gabrielle resided at 375 Deschambault Street from her birth in 1909 until 1936. La Maison Gabrielle-Roy Corporation purchased the historic home in 1997 and began an extensive eight-year project to restore it to its original design. Thanks to private donations and financial support from every level of government, the home officially reopened as a museum on June 19, 2003.
Ruth Goldbloom, Halifax, Nova, Scotia
Ruth Goldbloom O.C., was recognized for her significant contribution to the preservation of Pier 21 - the port of entry for one million immigrants to Canada. The Achievement Award celebrates her role in spearheading a movement to recognize the former immigration building and to preserve its legacy for all Canadians.
Melinda Seyler, Laurie Edmundson and Mikal Williams, Victoria, British Columbia.
Battle Harbour Historic Trust
The Achievement Award for 1999 honoured the Battle Harbour Historic Trust for the restoration of 20 historic buildings in the village of Battle Harbour in Labrador.
British Columbia Buildings Corporation
The British Columbia Buildings Corporation (BCBC) and the Provincial Capital Commission (PCC) received the 1998 Achievement Award for the major rehabilitation of St. Ann's Academy in Victoria and for the historic restoration of the building's exterior, the chapel and adjoining areas.
Acadian Museum of Prince Edward Island, Miscouche, Prince Edward Islan
Mr. Alden Weeks, O'Leary, Prince Edward Island
Island Trails, Prince Edward Island
Island Nature Trust, Prince Edward Island
Community Museums Association of Prince Edward Island
Alberta Municipal Heritage Advisory Board
Museum of Saint Boniface, Manitoba
The Association of Manitoba Museums recommended that the Museum of Saint Boniface be honoured with a Heritage Canada Achievement Award for the successful completion of extensive restoration and renovation of its building. The structure, designed by l'abbé Louis Franĉois Richer LaFlèche, was built between 1845-1851 of hand-squared logs and originally served as a convent for the Grey Nuns. The restoration committee was vigilant in ensuring that the methods of restoration respected the original fabric and character of the building.
Manitoba Genealogical Society
The second Achievement Award of 1995, recommended by the Manitoba Heritage Foundation, honours the Manitoba Genealogical Society for the outstanding work of their Special Projects Committee in the transliteration of burials in Ukrainian and Polish cemeteries.
Robin Ward, Vancouver, British Columbia
Cécile Grenier, Montréal, Québec
Michael Kluckner, Langley, British Columbia
Herb Stovel, Montréal, Québec
John A. Harrison, Ontario
Canadian Museum of Rail Travel, Cranbrook, British Columbia
Hallmark Society, Victoria, British Columbia
Ojibwe Cultural Foundation, Manitoulin Island, Ontario
Alexander Mackenzie Trail Association, Kelowna, British Columbia
Secwepemc Cultural Education Society (SECS) British Columbia
- About Us
- Support Us
- Issues & Campaigns
- Visit & Discover
- Get Involved